Not only are they the first finished pair of socks in my 7 Pairs of Socks in 2017 challenge, they’re my very first identical socks! I honestly feel like I just leveled up my knitting skills, even if all I did was use two balls of Felici that started at the same point in the stripe repeat and take a slightly obsessive amount of notes.
I did have a few false starts with this sock. The recommended size 0s and stitch count didn’t make the changes in stripes line up, not to mention it was painfully tight at the top of the cuff. I had the same stripe problem with the 0s on my usual 64-stitch cast on. So up a needle size I went! And the color changes still did not line up with a 56-stitch cast on…and wouldn’t you know, 64 stitches was the magic number to make my stripe repeats fall right. I usually knit top-down socks on size 1s over 64 stitches anyway, so this honestly sort of worked out.
I also spent an embarrassing amount of time figuring out how to add stitches but keep the stitch pattern when the designer already says to cast on additional stitches in multiples of 4 right on the pattern. Oops.
Oh, did I mention I have high arches too? Feet in general are weird things, mine like to make things extra complicated. Look at the picture down below, you’ll probably notice that I don’t use a usual gusset decrease. That’s because I found a better one called the double gusset heel, so I adapt it into the sock patterns I use.
The whole 64-stitches-instead-of-56 thing really messed me up when it came to the heel turn. For some strange reason (like “I misplaced my brain that day”), I tried to do the heel turn on the first sock as written. Which clearly did not work, but was easily fixed…by frogging the entire heel turn and reknitting it the right way. At least it was just the heel turn!
I have a
really bad habit of naming knitted projects after things that I’m a fan of, and the colorway on these socks is called “Beyond the Wall”. So I immediately knew I was going to name them something related to A Song of Ice and Fire, something a little bit cooler than “Night’s Watch Socks”. So I turned to the Night’s watch oath and, well, ran with it.
There was also a small discrepancy in my second ball of Felici in which an entire color was just mysteriously…not in one stripe repeat, and the color before it was only one round, so about 1/5 of the right length. The good thing is, it was pretty easy to fix that. Oh, except for the part where I had to frog half the foot, back to the end of the second decreases on the double gusset round, and then cut out the bad spot, find the right place in the next color repeat and join it, then reknit the sock from there. Let it never be said that even simple socks are “mindless knitting” if you want them to come out right. But they were so close to matching, I was committed to them turning out identical, and now look at my socks in all their matching glory!!!
This post is a bit absurdly late, I finished the pair on February 24th, which means I knit both socks in less than a month! I call that a good beginning to my challenge, even if I did take some time to write about it.